Sunday, January 25, 2015

Real Church, Part 3 (Mark 9:35) Questions for Reflection


Dig Deeper
Read chapter 3, I Will Not Let My Church Be about My Preferences and Desires in Thom Rainer’s book I Am a Church Member, pages 33-42.

After witnessing an incredible “mountain top spiritual experience” Jesus’ Transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-8; Mark 9:2-8; and Luke 9:28-36) and hearing Jesus’ second prediction of His death and resurrection the disciples are traveling with Jesus to Capernaum. While traveling the disciples argue over who among them “should be the greatest” (Mark 10:33). Jesus explains that greatness in His kingdom is achieved by serving others (Mark 9:35).

What additional insights about greatness in Christ’s kingdom are gleaned from the following Scriptures?

Matthew 18:2-5; Mark 9:33-37; and Luke 9:47-48--

Matthew 20:20-28; and Mark 10:35-43--

Matthew 5:18-19--

Luke 7:8-10--

Matthew 15:28--

Philippians 2:5 commands, “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.” contrast Colossians 1:15-18 with Mark 15:16-37. What motivation does this provide for you to not let your church be about your preferences and desires?

Application
Third Pledge: I am a church member. I will not let my church be about my preferences and desires. That is self-serving. I am a member in this church to serve others and to serve Christ. My Savior went to the cross for me. I can deal with any inconveniences and matters that aren’t my preference or style. I Am a Church Member, page 41

Memorize This
Mark 10:43-- But it must not be like that among you. On the contrary, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant. HCSB



No comments: